You may have heard of photographers or newspapers talking about terms such as Life Photography, Landscape Photography, Wedding Photography,… Terminology refers to the category in photography.
For photography, each genre has its own meaning and they all have different purposes. Therefore, the identification of genres in photography is very essential for those who are interested in this type of art. In this article, we will Introducing the most popular photography categories that we know of.
1. Cultural images: is recorded again while it is one of different things. One of our landscapes. Our success, one of different things. Being strong is one of the important things that can bring and reduce value at the same time
2. Portrait Photography: Literature and art in general, art photography in particular always take people as descriptive subjects. Portrait photos in addition to depicting people with emphasis on facial expressions and stickers, thereby making viewers feel the mood of the character. Portrait photos must reflect the characteristics and personality of the person, clearly expressing the ideological sentiments of the subject. Portrait is not just a close-up picture, but in which the transformations recorded on facial expressions become information in the form of artistic images and artistic images transformed into a sense of thought.
There are many types of portraits: Close-up portraits, portraits close to the context (reflecting people in their living and working conditions), collective portraits …
3. Architectural photography: is a photograph depicting architecture such as houses, streets, pagodas, etc. in order to introduce the beauty of architecture. In architectural images, there are two types:
Realism architecture image: it is described as the design architect’s, not deformed by technology.
Photos of selective general architecture: taken according to artistic inspiration, not bound by the principles of perpendicular, vertical parallel … Depending on the inspiration of the artist, will bring viewers to perceive the architecture Beauty.
4. Advertising photography: is a photograph that uses the technical elements of photography to introduce to the viewer for commercial and tourism purposes an item, a manufacturing industry, an organization or a region. travel.
5. Still life photography: depicting objects that are closely connected with human life. Still life images are not only for decoration purposes, but mainly for artistic purposes to bring out the content of thought, giving viewers a certain sense of human and social meaning. ask for a nice, clear layout of the material. Still life photos can use artificial light or natural light.
6. Sports photography: Reflecting a variety of sports from training sessions to competitions. Sports photos must reflect the athletes’ strokes during the practice of high artistic competition, through attractive movements, movements at the “climax” time, complicated movements, unusual. That beauty is reflected in the healthy face, balanced body.
7. Theater photography: reflecting all activities of actors during training and performance. A theatrical image must represent the main ideological content of the play. Therefore, it is necessary to show at the most expressive moments.
Theater photos include: theater images with script elements such as spoken drama, classical drama, reformed theater, etc. With this type of stage, photographers need to carefully study the script to select typical scenes of the play. For dance pictures (bale, ethnic dance …) reflects the beauty of the actor through facial expressions and dance movements. About the orchestra image, showing the relationship between people and the instrument, or the actor portraits.
8. Press photo: is a kind of highly current news, with clear ideological content. Press photos come in many categories.
As news photo is the most popular type of image in the newspaper genre, it is responsible for information events, topical issues taking place in everyday life. Photo news consists of 2 parts: Photos and captions, explain the event that needs to meet 5 “W”: who, why, where, when and how.
9. Natural photography: is a style of outdoor and specialized photography used to express natural elements such as landscapes, wildlife, plants and close-ups of landscapes and natural structures. Nature photography tends to place more emphasis on the aesthetic value of a photo than other types of photography, such as journalism and documentary photography.
10. Narrative photography: is similar to a private photograph, but is synthesized by the organic structure between photos and articles in a unified theme. Narrated photos must be a group of photos from 3 or more. This group of photos is arranged in chronological order of events or ordered in spatial order. The structure of the image group is developed according to the logic, content and form of expression.
11. Photography commentary: A type of discourse image of the press, giving viewers witnesses, comments on current affairs. Photo comments have two interpretations: A photo is given as the basis for the accompanying comment. Usually the picture must be a convincing valuable document. The photograph itself is next to each other as evidence, arguments for the arguments. Most of them are opposing images, adversities …
12. Documentary Photography: These are historical photographs, facts that work to prove a problem. Documentary photos include: Historical documentary photographs, scientific photographs.
13. Reportage Photography: A collection of 3 or more photos. These sets of images represent a topic, each of which is responsible for detailing the various aspects of the problem, to give viewers a greater amount of information.
Photojournalism is a vivid, vivid genre of journalism, giving viewers an idea of what happened. The reporter must first be a witness or take part in the event directly and on behalf of the event tell the audience selectively what he / she witnesses. Reportage does not require a generalization of the problem, but a coherent presentation of the developmental steps in the actual order occurs. Clearly, it is a record that selectively highlights the underlying content. The events that have the main and the secondary, the reporter need to choose the main and the secondary, that is, capture the core of the event to describe the true face of the problem. Therefore, the reporter is not only the one who records what happened, but also distilled the typical features that highlight the issues that the reporter is interested in. A set of photo essay photos are not missing without duplicates.
In today’s lively real life, the reporter must have the following requirements:
There are no events that cannot be reported, but not every event can be reported. Reportage of the photo born from the event has profound social meaning, interesting issues that society cares about. Reportage photos give viewers a thorough understanding of the nature of the event to have a proper awareness.
In the “cascade” of events, photo essays highlight and deepen new issues that society is interested in, that is, photographers must discover the typical core issues of the event. In the photo report, the reporter’s evaluation of what he sees. Want to make a photo reportage first: must determine the subject, determine the core issues, the nature of the event will appear where, when and why …
14. Chronographic Photography: refers to the generalization, the visualization of events and turning it into artistic images. In photo history, events are not the main, but the main is the image.
The concept of journalism often involves telling a story about a specific person or group. Photo journalism is a journalistic work of art. It is a song about real people, real things, but not urgent news that requires the author to build meaningful images for a period of time, even forever.
>>> Discover more interesting sharing of Hoi An Photographer on how to take photos and edit photos to create the most unique photos.